Thursday, June 27, 2013

10 Completely Irrational Or Unfair Ways I Judge Games

1. Whether or not it blacks out or freezes my second monitor while playing in fullscreen

I have no idea how games handle this, and a lot of games this only happens sometimes when I load it up.  But my addiction to information requires that I watch something while playing games depending on my mood and the game I'm playing.  If I load up a game and my second monitor goes black, I suddenly like the game less.

2. How long it takes to Alt-Tab out and into the game

If the alt-tab takes longer than two seconds, I'm going to judge you.  This is mostly dependent on my current RAM commit but for some reason I take it out on the game.  How dare you not take into consideration that my six firefox windows are using 3 gigs of ram right now?  I should uninstall this shit right now.

3. How long the game takes to install

I'm going to watch the install bar the entire time because I really don't have anything better to do.  If you get my hopes up and then have to install nine other fucking things like DirectX 9c FUCKING AGAIN, I'm going to hate you.

4. In game font choice

I get that you have to justify hiring that graphic design student with a focus on typography, but if your ingame font choice doesn't match what I want it to be, I will think less of you.  This is especially true if I'm playing with the subtitles on and the font looks like a high school essay, I'm going to be upset.

5. The number of clicks required to change the resolution

Games always start in the worst possible resolution.  Your monitor is 1920x1080?  How about we start the game in 1024x800?  How does that work for you?  No?  Well, it's nine clicks to fix it, and the resolution selector only goes one way, don't miss yours!  I'm going to break your face.

6. Default mouse sensitivity

It's easy to change and no two people have the same preference, but if my mouse goes off the pad while I'm trying to change it I'm in rage mode.

7. Slider bars in menus

Seriously, what's wrong with numbers?  If I use anybody else's computer to play something and there's no number, it's going to take me forever to get it back to where I want it and then my friend is going to have to do the same when they want it back to normal.  Just give me some fucking numbers.  Slider + Numbers?  Fine, just slider?  Fuck off.

8. How loud/how hot it makes my computer run

This is mostly my fault, graphics aren't where I want them, but if a specific game makes my computer run hot, I run hot.

9. How nice the title screen looks

...Yeah, really, kind of a thing.

10. How active the wiki is

If the wiki is empty I just don't feel as involved with a game.  Sometimes I don't even bother with the wiki so I'm not sure why this bothers me, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment